Cat Supplies Guide - An Introduction
Cats have long been loved for both their companionship and their ability to hunt pests. They have been domesticated for at least 9,000 years and are the most popular pet throughout the world. Although they are solitary hunters, cats are very sociable, communicating through meowing, purring, hissing, and growling.
Although it is commonly thought that cats were first domesticated in Egypt, a recent study indicates that they were self-domesticated in Africa around 8000 BC. The earliest evidence of their domestication is a human buried with a kitten in Cyprus more than 9,500 years ago.
Wherever they originated as pets, today’s cats enjoy a level of comfort that rivals that of their human companions. The pet supply industry in the UK is worth a staggering £3.8bn, and it is expected to climb to £4.26bn in 2010. Pet food alone accounts for £1.9bn. Cat Accesories run the full range of options, from necessities like food and water to luxurious beds. Toys and scratching posts will keep your cat entertained and save your furnishings.
No matter what type of cat supply you need, Price Inspector will help you buy the best items at the cheapest prices. Read our buying guide to get tips on which items are best for you and your pet. Our Inspectors will help you get the best prices in the UK for any of your cat supply needs.
Food and Water
Cat Food and water are, of course, necessary items to keep your cat healthy and happy. The days of table scraps or tins of cheap food are gone, replaced by a sophisticated array of choices.
- A Cat Feeder and Water Fountain are convenient items to have, as an Automatic Feeder keeps you from forgetting to feed the cat or takes care of your cat when you are on holiday. For daily use, a Water Bowl will suffice.
- Royal Canin Cat Food is a premium cat food that comes in several different varieties, including Royal Canin Urinary Food, Royal Canin Renal Food, and Royal Canin Diabetic Food. The Urinary variety helps prevent urinary infections caused by calcium deposits. The Renal food is easily digestible, which helps cats with chronic kidney disease. Diabetic food provides a complete, balanced meal for cats suffering from diabetes.
- Hills Cat Food is a leader in cat nutrition, with such popular varieties as Hills SD Feline Cat Food and Hills Cat Food CD. The company’s web site has a product selector to help you choose the right variety for your cat’s needs.
- Iams Cat Food is a premium cat food designed to give your cat balanced nutrition. There are varieties for hair ball control, mature cats, weight management, and special dietary needs.
- Whiskas Cat food is a more affordable variety that still offers real ingredients for good nutrition. They make a full range of products for kittens or adult cats, as well as treats and organic foods.
- Applaws Cat Food contains only natural ingredients and has a high meat content. It is free from additives, and the fish is caught using dolphin friendly, sustainable methods. Their tuna is bonito, which is not an endangered species.
- Perfect Fit Cat Food is the newest line from Pedigree, designed to meet your cat’s individual nutrition needs. Their products include varieties for indoor cats, kittens, seniors, and sensitive cats.
Litter Trays and Flea Treatments
A Cat Litter Tray and Litter are necessities for any indoor cat. The Tray should give your cat enough room to comfortably do its business and bury the evidence. If you have a big cat or multiple cats that are willing to share a box, consider an Extra Large Litter Box. Some cats prefer to have an individual box used by only one cat.
- The Cat Litter Trays Scoops Marchioro is made for households with multiple cats. It is an enclosed litter tray that has two carbon filters to reduce odour. The cat flap door keeps litter inside the tray and gives your cat privacy. The door can be removed for training a kitten. It comes with a handle to make it easy to maneuver, and its secure clips keep the lid connected to the base. Rubber feet keep it from slipping on laminated or tile floors.
- The Ebi Corner Cat Toilet House is a space-saving corner design with a filter. It measures 56cm x 38cm x 40cm tall. The enclosed design will fit any corner, making it perfect for a smaller space.
- Crystal Cat Litter has fans and detractors. Those who like it love the absorbency, as 2 kg absorbs liquid and odours for as much as 30 days for one cat. By comparison, it takes 9 to 14 kg of clay or clumping litter for this amount of time. Simply stir it daily when you scoop the solid waste, because urine can pool. Those who dislike crystal litter say that there is no warning when the crystals are saturated.
- Mayfield Cat Litter Wood based litter is an environmentally friendly litter. It is biodegradable and very absorbent.
- If your cat has a Flea problem, consider the Frontline Flea Treatment. The Frontline Flea Drops are highly recommended by veterinarians. It kills 100 per cent of fleas within 12 hours, and it kills fleas for a whole month. It is safe for use on kittens at least 8 weeks old, as well as for pregnant or nursing cats. It’s waterproof, so it is still effective after grooming. It will also help with Tick Removal, as it kills ticks as well.
- For a stressed cat, consider the Feliway Diffuser. It can reduce or eliminate signs of stress, including urinating outside the litter box, loss of appetite, depression, or vertical scratching. Simply plug it into any socket, and it simulates natural pheromones to reduce stress. It’s odourless and non-toxic. One diffuser will cover up to 55 square metres.