Headphones, or earphones, let you listen to your music in privacy without disturbing those around you. There are two main styles to choose from, those that insert into your ear canal such as the Bose in ear headphones and those that surround your ear, such as the Bose on ear headphones. You can choose cordless headphones for more mobility, and you can select noise cancelling headphones. These help block the noise surrounding you, letting you listen at a lower volume, reducing the stress on, and potential damage to your ears. This is especially helpful on airplanes or in industrial settings.
Headphones are not just limited to music. While you can buy Ipod earphones or Walkman headphones, you can also buy wireless headphones for TV, letting you watch TV while others in the house are reading or sleeping. You can also buy bluetooth headphones for your mobile phone. There are even different colour choices, with pink headphones being a popular option.
Headphones are a fairly recent innovation, but they have their roots with Thomas Edison, as do many modern electronics. His research of electrical currents indirectly led to inventions that amplified audio signals, including the headphones we take for granted today. Beyerdynamic made the world’s first headphones for consumers in the 1930s, introducing the first high-fidelity headphones in 1950. Other companies, most notably Koss, extended the technology to make the devices more portable.
Whether you are looking for high quality headphones or sport headphones, Price Inspector can help you sort through the numerous brands and styles. Our Inspectors have researched the UK stores so you can buy with confidence, knowing you’ve found the cheapest price.
There are innumerable brands of headphones available. Some of the popular brands include:
- Apple headphones: Apples makes high quality earbud headphones that provide superior noise isolation.
- Beyerdynamic: The originator of consumer headphones is still one of the top names in the industry. Their primary focus is on professional sound quality for broadcast markets, the recording industry, musicians, and the high-end consumer market.
- Bose: Established in 1964, Bose products focus on delivering lifelike sound. A popular model is the Bose Quietcomfort, which is ideal for frequent fliers. These lightweight noise cancelling headphones block more noise across more frequencies than other models, and they offer replacement ear pads to ensure a long life.
- Etymotic: Etymotic makes high-fidelity headphones that are tuned for optimum listening performance. Their name means “true to the ear,” and that’s the focus of this research-driven company.
- JVC: JVC makes colourful, practical headphones. The JVC Marshmallow model is available in five different colours, designed to fit snugly and comfortably. The cushioned pads seal out ambient noise while providing excellent sound quality.
- Koss: Koss is another original name in the headphones industry, known worldwide for their high-quality, high-fidelity products.
- Panasonic: For 50 years, Panasonic has provided high-quality electronics that provide good value for the money. Their headphone models include earbuds, noise cancelling, clip-on headphones, lightweight models, and neck bands.
- Sennheiser: For over 60 years, Sennheiser has been known for making high-quality audio products, producing excellent sound reproduction. The Sennheiser PX200 is a closed, on-ear, dynamic headphone designed for mobile audio players. They provide excellent sound isolation. The Sennheiser RS130 is a wireless headphone system that provides surround sound, perfect for hi-fi and TV use.
- Skullcandy: Established in 2003, Skullcandy makes headphones targeting snowboarders, skiers, surfers, wakeboarders, moto riders, bikers, and musicians.
- Sony: Sony is well-regarded in the electronics industry. Their headphone choices run the full range of models, including earbuds, noise cancelling, sports headphones, and Sony wireless headphones.
- Shure makes many premium headphones, including the Shure SE110. This model features sound isolation and lifelike sound reproduction. It offers assorted sleeves for customization and comfort. The Shure SE210 is lightweight, ergonomic, and sound isolating.