Introduction to Lego Duplo
Lego Duplo is part of the popular Lego line of toys. They are much larger than traditional Lego bricks. Lego Duplo blocks are twice the length, width, and height, making them easier for younger children to use. Even though they’re larger, however, they are compatible with regular Lego. Duplo makes sets that include cars, houses, and figures.
Duplo products have changed over the years, and even the Duplo name has been dropped twice. The most popular Lego Duplo sets are the zoo, farm, fire and police stations, aeroplane, and train sets.
Duplo bricks first appeared in 1969. They came in four colours: blue, red, yellow, and white. They were designed for younger children, as they are both easier to handle and do not present the same choking hazard as traditional Lego bricks. They are targeted for ages 1 to 5. You can buy a Lego Duplo bucket or barrel that just has the colourful blocks, or you can buy themed sets. There are both basic and deluxe sets, providing different numbers of blocks and accessories.
If you’re buying Duplo bricks, there are a few choices to make along the way. Price Inspector is here to help, answering all your questions before you start shopping. Once you know what you want, we bring you the cheapest prices from all the UK shops.
Lego Duplo is avialable in a few character themes that are very popular with children this age. Two of the most popular are the Lego Duplo Thomas the Tank and Bob the Builder sets.
- Thomas and Friends sets combine several of your child’s favourite things: Thomas the Tank Engine, trains, and Duplo. There are many different sets available; including the Starter Set, Thomas at Morgan’s Mine, and James Celebrates Sodor Day.
- With the Starter Set, you’ll get 82 pieces to build the whole town. Fully assembled, the track measures 72cm by 58cm. With his carts attached, Thomas is 28cm long. The set comes with Thomas, Sir Topham Hatt, a water tower, tracks, and train station. Turn the windmill’s handle to make it spin. Change the signal from red to green; dump coal into the train’s carts.
- Thomas at Morgan’s Mine is for children ages three and up. With this set, Thomas has discovered an abandoned mine, leading to new adventures. Its moulded tunnel is compatible with all the Duplo train sets, and it comes with Thomas.
- James Celebrates Sodor Day brings a favourite episode to life. It is for ages 3 and up due to a choking hazard. The set comes with James the Red Engine, Sir Topham Hatt, 34 bricks to build Waterton, and a celebration platform.
- The Lego Duplo Bob the Builder sets are also a popular choice, as Bob is a much-loved character. Let your child help Bob and Muck with all their construction adventures. Fun choices include Scoop at Bobland Bay, Scoop and Lofty at the Building Yard, and Muck Can Do It. Let Bob’s helpful, positive attitude be an inspiration for your child.